No matter the type of gaming you prefer, getting the best gaming headset will make your experience all the better. With games becoming so advanced, a rustling of the leaves behind you can make or break your winning streak.
So, whether it’s FPS, RTS, or a LAN party, if you want to get the best out of the game, it calls for getting yourself the best gaming headset. But what exactly is a gaming headset and how can you tell a good set from a “meh” set?
What Is a Gaming Headset?
A gaming headset is a headphone with a microphone attached to it that you use for real-time communication in gaming. The best gaming headset will allow you to take in every sound cue in a gaming scenario and also let you to share strategies with teammates.
So, what sets gaming headsets apart from other types of headsets? Well, all types of headphones are created to do one thing -- help you communicate. But they deliver in different ways. With gaming headsets, the main differences are aesthetics and the software that powers the sound. In short, gaming headsets are designed to look as rugged and aggressive as your gaming attitude and rig. Gaming headsets come with drivers for compatibility as well as an exceptional and immersive aural experience. Gaming sessions can run for long periods of time. So, comfort is a critical component of the best gaming headset.
Are gaming headsets compatible with all gaming platforms?
No, not every gaming headset is compatible with every gaming platform. Some headsets are designed to specifically work with PCs but not PS4s or XBoxes. Some work for any combination of the above and more. So, as you shop around for the best gaming headset for your rig, keep that in mind. However, numerous gaming headsets nowadays come packed with software that allows them to integrate seamlessly with any platform.
How much should I expect to spend on a good gaming headset?
Gaming headsets, like gaming rigs, come at various price points. Fortunately, finding the best gaming headset at any price point is pretty easy if you know what to look for.
How We Compiled Our Best Gaming Headset List
Image source: pexels
To ensure that we give you accurate and unbiased information on the best gaming headset options, we ran our headsets through a two-step filter. The first part involved scrutinizing each headset. That included build quality, features, and technical specifications among other things. The second filter we passed them through is what we call the human filter. Here, we get feedback from verified users on how the headsets perform in an actual gaming session. These reviews, negative and positive, reveal whether the headset is worth it or not. They also show the strengths and weaknesses of each headset.
Ready to get yourself the best gaming headset? Let’s get to it then, shall we?
The Best Gaming Headset -- The Top 8 Contenders
With such an influx of different types of gaming headsets, it can be as confusing a task to find the best headset as it is finding your way out of the temple in "God of War." But as always, there is an easy solution if you know where to go. And for the best gaming headset, this is your cheat sheet.
Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum
- SUPERIOR SOUND PERFORMANCE: The advanced Pro-GTM audio drivers deliver incredible audio with stereo, 7.1 Dolby Surround, or 7.1 DTS Headphone: X Surround Sound
- MULTI-PLATFORM COMPATIBILITY: This is the perfect headset for all of your devices, including PCs, PS3s, PS4s, the Xbox One and any TV with powered USB or RCA audio output and is also compatible to mac OS X 10.10 or later
- 2.4GHz WIRELESS OR WIRED CONNECTION: Get up to 12 hours of wireless battery life without lighting or 8 hours with default lighting on a lag-free wireless connection. This is also available with analog cable connections for unlimited connectivity
- MULTIPLE SOURCE AUDIO MIXING: Plug in up to three devices (1 USB and 2 analog) to answer calls and play music while gaming
- FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE: Enjoy a seamless, personalized gaming experience with customizable RGB lighting, swappable backlit custom tags, and 3 programmable G-keys to assign macros for complex game commands
Logitech is a Swiss company that has been around since 1981. And in that time, they have grown to be a force to reckon with in the consumer electronics industry, especially when it comes to peripherals. One such peripheral is the iconic gaming headset, the Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum.
The Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum is probably one of Logitech’s best gaming headsets as far as value for money is concerned. Featuring an aggressive design, attractive RGB lighting, and exceptional build quality, this is one headset that will give you a truly immersive gaming experience. And being a wireless gaming headset, it affords you exceptional mobility without interfering with your power moves.
Loaded with Logitech’s powerful software, the Artemis Spectrum offers amazing sound quality for any gaming genre. The built-in mic will help transmit your voice well so that your teammates can hear you loud and clear. That’s all thanks to the cardioid pattern and excellent noise cancellation features of the mic.
The Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum is one gaming headset you should put on your watch list.
SteelSeries Siberia 800
The SteelSeries Siberia 800 is another excellent gaming headset you need to check out. Featuring a stunning design and the convenience of being a multi-platform gaming headset. The only thing that might be a pain is the setup process -- it’s not plug-and-play.
Once you’re up and running, however, you’ll soon forget the pain of the setup process as this headset is everything you’d want in a gaming headset. From the comfortable earcups to the superb sound quality the Siberia 800 gives it all to you generously. And for those times you need to whisper some instructions to your teammates, the retractable mic will make sure you’re heard loud and clear. And don’t worry about the noise your PCs giant fans will be making in the heat of battle, the mics noise cancellation will take care of it well.
But the greatest feature the SteelSeries Siberia 800 brings to the table is the fact that it gives you full control over your audio. From volume to EQ to totally muting the mic to everything in between, with the SteelSeries Siberia 800 you are in control. Although the Siberia 800 is a wireless headset, everything passes through the included amp that acts as the central hub.
The SteelSeries Siberia 800 has a 40-foot range, and the batteries will give you up to 20 hours of continuous use on a single charge.
Corsair Void Pro
- Microfiber mesh fabric and memory foam provide exceptional comfort
- Legendary CORSAIR build quality ensures long term durability. Frequency Response - 100 Hz to 10 kHz
- Custom tuned 50mm neodymium speaker drivers bring the action to life with wide range and accuracy
- Multi-platform compatible with PC, Xbox One*, PS4 and mobile devices. *May require Microsoft adapter sold separately
- Optimized unidirectional microphone reduces ambient noise for enhanced voice quality
If you thought Corsair is only known for making great gaming PCs and components, you thought wrong. Corsair is fast becoming a powerhouse when it comes to making gaming peripherals. The Corsair Void Pro gaming headset is a testament to what the company is capable of.
If you are on the hunt for the best gaming headset as far as budget-friendly is concerned, then the Void Pro might just be it. You may be tempted to dismiss it as one of those cheap headsets with less than average sound quality. Don’t. Despite it being budget-friendly, the Corsair Void Pro delivers on all fronts.
The very first feature you’ll appreciate is the design -- it’s stunningly simple yet attractive. The logo also has RGB lighting to help set the gaming mood. With exceptional sound fidelity and build quality to match, the Corsair Void Pro is a gaming headset you should consider. And that’s especially if you are running a Corsair gaming rig or simply have other Corsair peripherals. If you do, you’ll love the seamless integration of everything Corsair through the intuitive Corsair Utility Engine (CUE). It even goes so far as to synchronize the lighting effects of all your Corsair equipment.
You can buy this gaming headset with confidence. After all, the masses have spoken in its favor.
HyperX Cloud Revolver S
- Studio grade sound stage
- Signature HyperX memory foam with premium leatherette
- Durable steel frame; TeamSpeak and Discord certified noise cancelling mic
- Detachable noise cancellation microphone. Weight with mic: 376 gram
- Next generation directional 50 millimeter drivers
If you are looking for the best multi-platform gaming headset, the HyperX Cloud Revolver S is exactly what you are looking for. Compatibility with your PC, PS4, PS4 PRO, Xbox One, and Xbox One S is one of the Cloud Revolver S’s biggest selling points. Unlike the SteelSeries Siberia 800, this gaming headset comes ready to play out of the box.
Apart from its plug and play compatibility, the HyperX Cloud Revolver S also boasts of many other features. Design-wise, these include a durable steel frame, HyperX’s signature memory foam, and premium leatherette. This ensures a durable product that will sit comfortably on your ears. The Revolver S also features studio-grade sound quality, a feature that makes it good, not only as a gaming headset but as an all-round headset as well. When you are immersed in the realms of gaming, this headset will make sure that you don’t miss any sound cue, even the rustling of leaves as an enemy approaches from behind.
The HyperX Cloud Revolver S is a gaming headset that brings more to the table than you pay for.
SteelSeries Arctis Pro
- Premium hi res capable speakers with high density neodymium magnets reproduce a full, expansive frequency range from 10 to 40,000 hertz with stunning realism and clarity
- Luxurious polished steel and aluminum alloy construction offers maximum durability and a consistent fit
- Next generation DTS headphone: X v2.0 surround sound provides optimal spatial imaging for complete 360 degree immersion
- USB chat mix dial lets you balance and adjust the volume between your game and chat audio; Headphone sensitivity: 102 dB SPL
- The Arctis clear cast microphone delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation. Microphone frequency response - 100–10,000 kHz. Microphone sensitivity - (-38) DBV/pa
SteelSeries have been making some exceptional gaming peripherals over the years. While most of their products are good, SteelSeries always seek to push the bar higher. One of the results of their quest for perfection is the SteelSeries Arctis Pro.
The SteelSeries Arctis Pro is the better version of the renowned Arctis 7, a gaming headset that wowed many gamers for its exceptional sound fidelity. The Arctis Pro is a low-profile gaming headset that features a sleek and classic design. This is a wired headset, but you can also go wireless by way of a wireless adaptor.
When it comes to performance, the SteelSeries Arctis Pro lives up to its name by providing pro-grade level sound -- both in the retractable mic and the headphones. And for a personal touch, you can customize the sound options using the SteelSeries Engine software. This allows you to get rich, detailed sound that is perfect for your aural palates. Besides excellent audio reproduction, the Arctis Pro features a very ergonomic design that makes the headset easy on your ears, even after prolonged use.
The Arctis Pro could easily have been the best gaming headset period. Unfortunately, it was designed for PC use only, especially the wired iteration.
- Premium Build Quality: Legendary CORSAIR build quality featuring rugged metal structural components ensure long term durability
- Precision Gaming Audio: Specially tuned 50mm neodymium speaker drivers bring superior sound quality with wide range and accuracy
- Crystal Clear Microphone: Optimized unidirectional microphone reduces ambient noise for enhanced voice quality and is easily detached for use on the go
- On Ear Control: Easy access on ear volume and mute controls for adjustments on the fly
- Discord Certified: Play with the confidence that your microphone and audio drivers have been tested and evaluated for crystal clear communication and outstanding sound
The Corsair HS50 won’t win any beauty pageants thanks to its plain design. It doesn’t even sport a single light. But when it comes to competing for the best gaming headset, it definitely will give other headsets some pretty stiff competition. That’s because the Corsair HS50 was designed to do one thing -- afford you an exceptional aural experience. And it does that one thing exceptionally well.
While the Corsair HS50 is simplicity personified, its sound fidelity is pleasant to the ears. The built-in mic also does a great job of picking up sounds and canceling ambient noise. Corsair HS50 does a pretty great job of being a decent cross-platform gaming headset.
Turtle Beach Elite Pro
- ComforTec Fit System Revolutionary adjustment system for truly personalized comfort
- Aerofit Ear Cushions : Delivering cooling comfort, better sound and passive noise isolation, Speaker frequency response 12 hertz to 22 kilohertz, Speaker size 50 millimeters nanoclear speakers
- ProSpecs Glasses Relief System Patented technology alleviates ear cushion pressure for gamers who wear glasses
- Pro Gaming Microphone with TruSpeak Technology Professional grade microphone provides effortless communication with your squad
- 50 millimeter Nanoclear Speakers Turtle Beach's signature audio tuning delivers immersive game sound and crystal clear team chat
From a company whose name sounds like a kiddies cartoon comes a serious gaming headset that many have come to love -- the Turtle Beach Elite Pro.
The Turtle Beach Elite Pro is one refined piece of equipment that was designed to feel natural on your head. Ergonomically speaking, this could be the best gaming headset on the list. And performance-wise, it doesn’t disappoint either. Thanks to the 50mm drivers, every audio signal is well-balanced out, giving audio playback a very natural feel. Heck, if you were to close your eyes, you’d think the sounds were right in your room.
The Turtle Beach Elite Pro does come with one disadvantage apart from the awkward name -- the price tag. This isn’t the cheapest gaming headset in its category. But this headset, is still a worthy investment.
The Best Gaming Headset -- Every Sound Counts
If you are looking to take your gaming experience to another level, you just have to invest in the best gaming headset on the market. Fortunately, they are available at different price points. So a limited budget isn’t something that should stop you from getting one.
If picking from this list still seems like looking for a needle in a haystack for you, perhaps a bit of sound advice is in order. For the best gaming headset that won’t blow a big hole in your pocket, the Corsair HS50 is your safest bet. However, if you’ve got an unrestricted budget, then, by all means, try out the Asus ROG Centurion.
Whatever you get, though, you certainly won’t be disappointed. So go ahead, it's game on.
Last update on 2021-06-25 at 01:48 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API